New Port Richey is one of many cities that participates in the 'Main Street' program. Below is an excerpt from Greater New Port Richey Main Street's site on the resurgence and benefits of revitalizing Florida's downtown areas.
Florida Main Street
In the past, the word brought to mind an image of bustling centers of commerce and activity. Too often today, the image is of vacant, deteriorating buildings. Now cities are discovering that with help from Florida Main Street, downtown can thrive again.
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 mandates that every State Historic Preservation Office provide technical assistance to local governments, organizations and individuals. The Main Street Program is one of the most important methods by which this agency meets this requirement. This mandate is also reflected in Chapter 267 of the Florida Statutes. The Florida Historical Resources Act specifically mentions the Main Street Program as a method for the Division of Historical Resources to provide technical assistance.
Revitalizing Florida’ Downtowns
Throughout Florida there is a growing interest in improving the appearance and economic stability of historic downtown business districts. In many communities, the main street is in a serious state of decline. Effective solutions to the problems of deteriorating building stock, loss of business, and the waning economic strength of downtown are crucial to the survival of the city itself.
There are many reasons for a community to actively encourage the revitalization of the downtown. An economically healthy downtown:
- Builds a positive image for the community.
- Reflects a community’s confidence in itself and its future.
- Creates job opportunities.
- Attracts new industry and strengthens service and retail job markets.
- Saves tax dollars.
- Stabilizes and improves the area’s tax base, and protects the investment already made in downtown infrastructure.
- Helps to control sprawl.
- Preserves the community’s historic resources.
- Enables property owners to maintain historic commercial buildings and preserve an important part of the community’s heritage.
If the idea of living in a walkable neighborhood with a sense of place and community appeals to you, contact Magruder Real Estate Group at 727-846-8888 today. We are located right on Main Street in the heart of downtown New Port Richey. We live, work and play here and we know downtown and the Cotee River waterfront.